PostPosted: March 3, 2010 16:39 

Ok folks,

After a few years trying (without any success) to find any info upon this, and always keeping the secret (as it was asked for me to do so) since when I was fortunate enough to get this recording, I finally decided it was time to (partially) reveal what I believe is a truly hidden gem never released before.

Please don't ask me how did I get a hold of this recording. If the guy who owns this ever finds out I'm posting it here I'd probably get killed... LOL :)

This was taken from a cassette recording, and since the quality of the recording is pretty bad I wouldn't be surprised if this was recorded LIVE in the studio where the tracks were being recorded. I really don't know.

This is supposed to be the only full lenght LP by Mickey Simpson that was supposed to come out but never actually did. Probably recorded in the late 70's or early 80's. Most of the tracks were released either as 7" or 12" single, but some versions are quite different from the singles release. Some tracks were also released on the CD titled "Mixed Up Moods", but again versions are totally different. Also, there's a few TOTALLY UNKNOWN tracks wich I never found any infos about them over the net or anywhere else.

The way the tracks are grouped together in the recording I was given, and the similarity of the sound (band/studio/producer) makes me believe it was supposed to be an LP, and it's not just a collection of singles. Also because there's a few tracks i've never heard of being released in any form.

There's two tracks that are incomplete and some of them have a few "cuts" in the middle of it. As I said the quality is really poor, but still you can see and hear how rootsy this "album" is.

IMO, if this group of tracks were ever released properly as a full lenght LP, it would certainly be one of the strongest roots reggae sets EVER in reggae history.

As I said, some of the tracks are incomplete, others have a few parts missing. But as I said, this is very very rare stuff and so I couldn't simply put all the complete tracks here. So I've made a little short mix with about 30 to 45 seconds of each track, in the exact same order as in the recording I was given.

You can download this mix at the following link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/358437370/Mickey_Simpson_-_Mystery_LP.mp3.html

I came out with the names of each track in the order they are in my recording and in the mix. Some of the track names I took from the officially released singles, and others I didn't know I simply supposed these were the track titles. Those I'm not sure will have a (?) question mark after the track title.

So, here is the track list of this mysterious Mickey Simpson LP:

01 - Time (?)

02 - She's Gone

03 - Arise Blackman (?)

04 - Let There Be Love

05 - Don't Cry

06 - Reggae Feeling (Rock To The Rhythm)

07 - Some More (?)

08 - Good Good Loving (Honey It's You)

09 - Low Dem

10 - We Can Make It

If any of you have any info, any story about this supposed LP, or simply would like to share your opinions on this extremely rare recordings I would be very pleased to have your insights on this mysterious LP.

Maybe some very knowledgeable person in here can share some info and enlighten this mystery? I'm really curious to see....

Either way, hope you enjoy.

All the best,

Check out my radio station:
www.rasta.com.br/loja/radio.htm

PostPosted: March 3, 2010 17:21 

That's a wicked set of songs!

I only own 2 songs by him on 45 ( Don't cry and Good good loving), would be a true holy grail imo if they ever released this!

Didn't know there was a cd released so must try and find it.

PostPosted: March 3, 2010 20:15 

Is Mixed Up Moods recorded earlier than 2000, when it was released?

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/mixed-up-moods/id131418775

PostPosted: March 3, 2010 20:22 

No, it's not. I have this CD and it has only some of the tracks, and also in a very different version as they were probably recorded in the late 80's/early 90's, so it's more digi.

Check out my radio station:
www.rasta.com.br/loja/radio.htm

PostPosted: March 3, 2010 20:26 

Sorry Gunosantos,

I skimmed through your first post and missed the fact that you'd already mentioned that Mixed Up Moods was a different release. You've also answered my amended question!

PostPosted: March 3, 2010 20:27 

Indeed 'Mix Up Moods' isn't the one - listen to some tracks of that CD:

http://previews.7digital.com/clips/480/914507.clip.mp3

http://previews.7digital.com/clips/480/914579.clip.mp3

Hans

PostPosted: March 4, 2010 10:01 

Mixed Up moods was released in 1993,he was finally getting a little succes thanks to Courtney Cole and Barry O'Hare. shortly after that he was murdered.

PostPosted: March 5, 2010 18:36 

great stuff

PostPosted: March 5, 2010 18:38 

?

PostPosted: March 6, 2010 03:04 

Great compilation of Mickey Simpson tunes - A wicked tape to have indeed....but sadly I am afraid that is just what it is - A Compilation your bredren put together himself (or a friend of his). The reason I say this is because several of those tunes are from different producers. Regarding the recordings of the tunes you have, they sound like the same exact versions of the ones I have on viny. But like REGGAEPOSTMAN said, would be a true holy grail if it were ever released like that, "BEST of Mickey Simpson". Thank you very much for sharing those samples - I am a fan Mr. Simpson, and some of those tunes I have never heard before. ADam

PostPosted: March 29, 2010 06:12 

my don't cry 7" is a steppers

PostPosted: March 29, 2010 06:35 

brilliant!!!!

i'm intrigued....

it does sound quite raw in parts, like it could be from a master tape or recorded live in session

some of the tunes sound familiar but the only one i know really well is don't cry and i can say 100% that this is not the same mix or even the same version that i have on vinyl.

i'd love to know more about the third tune, sounds a bit like an al campbell tune that i can't remember the name of.

PostPosted: March 29, 2010 21:05 

Incredible

PostPosted: May 2, 2010 21:19 

I must say that the "Let There Be Love" track sounds like a killer! I haven't heard many of these tracks, but have always been curious about Mickey Simpson (especially after the Deep Roots documentary series). I'm going to keep my eye out for a pressing of this one ;). Many thanks gunosantos for blessing us with this mix.

Roots,

Jah Chicken

PostPosted: April 23, 2012 12:56 

Will this be seeing the light of day soon, and now who is running Mr Beckford's materials now ??

[img]http://bestsmileys.com/money/3.gif[/img]

PostPosted: June 12, 2012 23:37 

I would love to have the jack ruby version of good good loving thats the best one..

PostPosted: August 26, 2013 23:11 

another Mickey Simpson tune, one that I didn't spot in the list, is featured on pressurebeat.com

http://pressurebeat.blogspot.com/2013/08/mickey-simpson-see-dem-come.html